Monday 25 February 2013

Snowpocalypse!

Evening all! I'm afraid I haven't covered myself in glory this week. Here are the stats:

Distance (miles)
Time (hh:mm)
Energy (kcals)
Since last post (18 Feb 2013) 6.3 01:44 1071
Since records began (27 Dec 2012) 155.9 44:44 29189

I'd break down the difference against last week's 30 miles as follows:

[1] Work-related disruptions: -6 miles [Tue am/pm and Wed am]
[2] Pure laziness: -4 miles [Wed pm and Thu am]
[3] Weather-related disruptions: -13.7 miles [Fri pm, Sat, Sun, Mon am]

Categories [1] and [3] were somewhat out of my control, but I'm a bit disappointed with myself for category [2] - those 4 miles would at least have tipped me over the 10 mile mark.

'Snowpocalypse' isn't much of an exaggeration.

Saturday morning - view down our street as I prepare to excavate the car

Saturday morning - on our way to Tesco, with beautiful views of Prague Castle 

Sunday morning - about 2ft deep on our window ledge after a second night of heavy snow

Sunday morning - snow laying round about our terrace, deep and crisp and even
As you'll see from my posts over the last few weeks I'm quite prepared to walk around in the snow and in sub-zero temperatures, but not when I'm up to my shins in the stuff.

A lot of the weekend snow turned to slush overnight, so I gave it a miss again this morning. By the evening the worst of the slush had melted or been scraped to the kerbs, so I got back out. The forecast for the rest of the week looks more promising, so I'm hoping I'll have much better news to report next week.

Handling setbacks

Reading Paul Callow's blog it seems I'm not the only one struggling a bit this week. I like his point that realising our shortcomings can help spur us on to greater efforts. My relative failure in this last week will certainly be a strong motivator for me in the coming week.

Tony's comment to the effect that 'Spring is on the way' is both a heartening thought (better weather, lighter evenings) and a reminder that the Parish Walk is drawing closer: less than four months to go now!

Thanks for reading and have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment