Monday 21 January 2013

Thoughts from The Frozen North

Good evening from Vilnius, Lithuania!

Describing it as The Frozen North may be something of an exaggeration: I'm only about 0.2 degrees closer to the North Pole than the Point of Ayre (thanks, Google, for the handy latitude search results - Vilnius Airport and Point of Ayre). It's certainly frozen, though: currently -15C (versus 1C in the IoM and -6C in Prague). I'm not looking forward to the (mercifully short) walk from the hotel to the airport at 5.30am tomorrow!

I'll start with another stats update:


Distance (miles)
Time (hh:mm)
Energy (kcals)
Since last post (14 Jan 2013) 17.5 04:58 4018
Since records began (27 Dec 2012) 61.4 18:01 12684

I've managed to cover a bit more ground this week, despite not having clocked any miles at all today: I'm dedicated, but I draw the line at -10C, and at -15C the line is a dot! The main reason for the increased mileage is that, unlike last week, I did manage to put in two longer walks this time round. If I keep it up I should (cumulatively) pass Parish Walk distance by the end of the month. I'm still a little sceptical that I'll be able to compress the same feat into 24 continuous hours...

Photo Tour

Like fellow blogger Tony McNally I also took a few photos on my Sunday walk this week. Unfortunately my phone's got a terrible camera function, so they're a bit naff: iPhone beats BlackBerry yet again!


Snowy road to the National Monument on Vitkov Hill, Prague, Czech Republic
Road to the National Monument on Vitkov Hill. Most of the roads are kept
pretty clear when it snows, but this one's closed to most traffic
so they don't bother to clear it!

View of the snow-covered roofs of Zizkov, Prague, Czech Republic
View of the snow-covered roofs of my neighbourhood
from the foot of the National Monument.

Snow-covered path in Vitkov Park, Prague, Czech Republic
Great footpath built along the route of a former railway line. Sound familiar?

Long run of snow-covered steps in Vitkov Park, Prague, Czech Republic
I'll know I'm fit when I can run up these steps without passing out!

I'm getting rather used to walking in the snow now... which is handy, because we're in for more of the same in the coming week. If worst comes to worst I can always strap a couple of tennis rackets to my trainers :)

Thanks for reading and have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment